Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why I Could Care Less About the Red Sox and MLB

            At the time I’m starting to write this, it’s been roughly 22 hours since the completion of the most epic collapse in baseball history. My interest in baseball has been waning considerably over the past four years, but Wednesday night’s events were enough to suck me back in (EDITORS NOTE: By sucked back in, I mean following the nights action through my fantasy baseball team, because my keeper league team was in position to win a championship. Sadly, my fantasy team is more important than the Red Sox. More on that later). While Papelbon was throwing batting practice fastballs down the heart of the plate, one question kept popping into my head… why don’t I care?

              Longer than I remember, I always was a Red Sox fan. Somehow in my early years, Mike Greenwell was my favorite player (a career .303 hitter, 130 homers, 726 RBIs). Perhaps it was his 1988 season where he finished second to Jose Canseco in the AL MVP voting that sucked me in, although I was three years old in 1988, so I doubt I had much of an understanding of that sort of thing. Ages 10-13 are when my sports interest began increasing exponentially by the day, which was right at the beginning of the Nomar-Pedro era. The most enjoyable sports viewing experience of my life was the 2004 playoff run, with games four and five of the ALCS standing out the most. Over a 30-hour period, it felt like the Sox and Yankees played for 15 of them. It was truly magical stuff (years later we would find out that a lot of it was scientific stuff due to the amount of steroids that were used by both teams, but we didn’t know that at the time). Sadly though, my love of baseball and the Red Sox is on life support. In no particular reason, here are the reasons why I could’ve given a rat’s ass if Boston won or lost this past Wednesday.



- Baseball Games Take Too Long (most of the time)

            This one really hit home during the 2010 World Cup. I’m not much of a soccer guy, but I knew that when a game started at 2pm, the game would be over in roughly two hours. Baseball purists will argue that the beauty of America’s pastime is that the game could literally go on forever, but it’s a problem when games actually feel like they will last forever. Especially since the “Moneyball” method has become the predominant approach of major league clubs (working the pitch count to draw walks and wear down opposing pitchers), you’re lucky to see a Red Sox-Yankees game that takes under three hours. Call me a stick in the mud, but I’m at a point in life where I like to have a good idea of when something is going to end.



- The Economic Structure of Baseball is Broken

            Last year, the Super Bowl winning team came from a town with an estimated population of 104,057. If a baseball team were in Green Bay, it would be lucky to have a payroll over $20 million. The only chance this fictional Green Bay baseball team would have of competing would be to nail the draft for two or three years, and then hope all of the prospects hit the majors at the same time for a two year window before they are all eligible for free agency and sign with other teams for more money. Call me crazy, but I’ll take the economics of the NFL (where cities like Green Bay and Kansas City have enjoyed success) over MLB everyday and twice on Sunday.  And to spin it back to my issues with the Red Sox, how am I supposed to feel bad that a team that spent $100 million less than them overtook them for a wildcard spot?



- Fantasy Baseball is Much More Interesting

            A selfish reason, but the bottom line is I was much happier about Evan Longoria’s September in regards to my fantasy team than I was bummed out about his performance leading Tampa over the Red Sox.



- I Don’t Have Enough Time to Follow 162 Games

            Back in junior high school, there wasn’t a sports event that I missed. As I’ve gotten older though, I’ve had to cross a few things off the list. College football was the first to go because of working every Saturday during high school. The lack of a playoff combined with the corruption across the major programs make me very happy about that decision. NHL was next thanks to the lockout and the games being on a network that I didn’t have for four years (look for a huge NHL comeback in the Muir household this season though. Stupid NBA). With working full-time and having a family, I can’t make the time to watch well over 20 hours of Red Sox baseball per week. It would be one thing if the game was more entertaining, but we’ll leave that discussion for the next bullet point.



- Steroids Era Baseball Was Better

            I’m in the minority (although maybe not based on the major decline in MLB television Ratings and attendance), but I loved steroids baseball. Watching Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds blast 500+ foot home runs was breathtaking. I don’t care what chemicals they used to hit them. Remember McGwire in the 1999 Home Run Derby at Fenway Park? I’d link to the video of it, but MLB is dumb and won’t allow their videos uploaded on YouTube. You’ll just have to trust me that it was damn good television.



- I Have Little Respect For the “Dominance” of Pitching

            For any moron that wants to blame the decline in offense on the “great depth” of pitching in baseball today, I’d first like to show you the stats Greg Maddux put up during his prime (his final year with the Cubs and first six with Atlanta).



YR
GP
CG
SHO
IP
W
L
SO
ERA
WHIP
1992
35
9
4
268
20
11
199
2.18
1.01
1993
36
8
1
267
20
10
197
2.36
1.05
1994
25
10
3
202
16
6
156
1.56
0.90
1995
28
10
3
209.2
19
2
181
1.63
0.81
1996
35
5
1
245
15
11
172
2.72
1.03
1997
33
5
2
232.2
19
4
177
2.20
0.95
1998
34
9
5
251
18
9
204
2.22
0.98





            Next, let’s take a look at Pedro Martinez from 1997 (his final season with Montreal) through his first six seasons with the Red Sox.



YR
GP
CG
SHO
IP
W
L
SO
ERA
WHIP
1997
31
13
4
241.1
17
8
305
1.90
0.93
1998
33
3
2
233.2
19
7
251
2.89
1.09
1999
31
5
1
213.1
23
4
313
2.07
0.92
2000
29
7
4
217
18
6
284
1.74
0.74
2001
18
1
0
116.2
7
3
163
2.39
0.93
2002
30
2
0
199.1
20
4
239
2.26
0.92
2003
29
3
0
186.2
14
4
206
2.22
1.04



            Keep in mind that these two men were pitching against guerilla juiceheads that can now only be found on “Jersey Shore”. Pitching against the chem.-free hitters of today, Pedro and Maddux probably could have sub 1.00 ERAs.



            Thanks to Terry Francona for letting his pitchers get wasted in the clubhouse on their days off. Thanks to Carl Crawford for woefully underachieving (the poor guy should’ve signed with Anaheim. Money isn’t everything). Thanks to the Boston season mercifully ending, I will watch football on Sundays in peace, which is what I would’ve done anyway, but now four percent of me won’t feel guilty about ignoring the Sox.




No comments:

Post a Comment