Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Overconfident Stanley Cup Conference Semi-Finals Picks

            After watching the exciting end to the Bruins-Canadiens series, I’m ready to prepare my Stanley Cup Playoffs 2nd Round picks. I’m feeling pretty good about myself (at least when it comes to picking NHL playoff series) after correctly choosing six of the eight winners. Furthermore, I nailed the correct distance for three of the Eastern Conference series. The only one I was way off on was the Red Wings-Coyotes series, but you can chalk that up to deep-seeded disdain for Detroit (planted by their vicious playoff battles with the Colorado Avalanche in the mid-90s. I was a front-runner as a child, so I attached myself to the Roy-Sakic-Forsberg group), and Jimmy Howard screwing my fantasy team’s save percentage this past season. Without further ado…

EASTERN CONFERENCE


#1 Washington Capitals vs. #5 Tampa Bay Lightning
            I’d love to pick Tampa Bay in this series. Goalie Dwayne Roloson is roughly 67 years old, but somehow still finds a way to stop the puck. He stoned the Penguins during the final minutes of Game 7. Lastly, take a look at the dude’s picture. If you look up the word goalie in the dictionary, there should be Dwayne Roloson’s face right next to it. However, my love for Roloson does not change the fact that Washington is a superior team that has also had the luxury of extra days off. I’m predicting the Capitals to easily advance to the conference finals.
            PREDICTION = Capitals in 5

#2 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #3 Boston Bruins
            Last year, Boston had a 3-0 series lead over Philly in the conference semi-finals before pulling off an epic choke job. It’s fitting that they get a chance to exercise those demons. Boston should have an easier time scoring going up against whomever Philadelphia throws in net as opposed to Carey Price.
            PREDICTION = Bruins in 6

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Vancouver Canucks vs. #5 Nashville Predators
            Vancouver was supposed to be the favorite going into the playoffs this season, and looked the part after winning the first three games against Chicago. Following three straight losses, a narrow overtime escape in Game 7, and a goalie controversy, and now we are looking at a very shaky club. Throw in an underrated Predators team, and this has all the makings for an upset. Just ask the Anaheim Ducks how hard it is going up against a goalie named Pekka.
            PREDICTION = Predators in 7

#2 San Jose Sharks vs. #3 Detroit Red Wings
            For my money, this is the best of the four conference semi-final series. All the reasons I picked against Detroit during the first round still apply here. Throw in a strong Sharks club that has the look of a team finally ready to succeed in the playoffs, and I’ll sign off on San Jose taking the series (that means all of you should go bet money on Detroit. Right now. They’re a guaranteed winner).
            PREDICTION = Sharks in 7

No comments:

Post a Comment