Monday, December 20, 2010

10 Awesome Things That Happened This Past Weekend (12/17-12/19)

10. Hyundai Continues to Air Their Christmas Themed Commercials
I’ve decided that #10 will become a gag item that really isn’t that awesome, but is actually something I would like to complain about.
These commercials annoy the living crap out of me. I despise the ads, but strangely, I can’t look away. This duet fascinates me so much, I actually looked them up on Wikipedia (their name is “Pomplamoose”. They are an indie band based out of California. I would’ve guessed that they were from Nova Scotia, but what do I know). The girl is creepy enough that you wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibility that she sacrificed farm animals for religious ceremonies, and the guy is just an ass. I can point to them as the only reason I want Christmas to come and go, so that way they can stop airing these commercials.  

9. Cowboys Win “Dysfunctional Bowl” Over Redskins
            Dallas even laid down in the second half a little bit to make Rex Grossman look good, hoping that this sort of performance will convince Washington to go into 2011 with Sexy Rex at QB. That Jason Garrett is a real thinker.

8. Peyton Manning and Colts Take Control of AFC South
            Even if you are a Patriots fan, or a fan of another AFC contender, as a fan of football, would you rather see David Garrard or Peyton Manning in the playoffs?

7. Terrell Owens Out For Rest of Season
            I don’t normally cheer or applaud a player getting injured. This is one of those rare occasions.

6. Bengals Blow Opportunity to Take Control of #1 Pick in 2011 Draft
            Carolina won, giving the Bengals an opportunity to pull even in the race for worst record in the league. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be, as they pulled out a two-point victory over the Browns.
            In all seriousness, why are these two teams trying to win games? I would argue that drafting a potential franchise quarterback is much better than winning a meaningless game in December. If I were coaching the Bengals or Panthers, I would’ve pulled my entire defense off the field. I would’ve had the nose tackle play QB (alright, maybe that wouldn’t of been a good idea, since that would’ve probably been an upgrade for both teams under center). Picking a quarterback first overall isn’t a perfect science (see Couch, Tim, and Smith, Alex), but at least it creates some hope for the fans.

5. Tim Tebow Doesn’t Embarrass Himself in 1st Start
            I’m not a die-hard Tebow fan (like the majority of the Bible Belt is), but I would like to see him do well. If nothing else, he’s a pretty compelling guy.

4. A Fat Patriot Runs a Kickoff 71 Yards
            If DeSean Jackson didn’t have his punt return at the end of regulation against the Giants, 313-pound Dan Connolly and his 71-yard kick return would easily be the play of the day. I was in tears when he cut back to the middle of the field at the 30 yard line and picked up 25 more yards.
  
3. Milwaukee Brewers Trade for Royals Ace Zack Greinke
            I love this trade for a multitude of reasons. For starters, he didn’t go to one of the usual suspects (Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies). Second, he joins a very sneaky Brewers club that could be really good in 2011. They already had added little known Shawn Marcum (formerly of the Blue Jays), who will be a guy that gets drafted in the 13th round in fantasy leagues but produces like a 3rd or 4th rounder. Prince Fielder is entering the last year of his contract, which should mean that he will be pretty motivated. Add in Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, and Rickie Weeks, and you have the makings of a pretty potent offense. With Greinke, they have a legit #1 starter who will contend for the Cy Young trophy. Needless to say, I’m high on the Brewers.

2. Magic, Wizards, and Suns Make a Mega-Deal
            One of the reasons I really enjoy the NBA is when a few teams in the middle of the season decide to get together and blow up 30% of their roster.

1. Giants Pull Off Epic Choke Against Eagles
            I don’t need to write much about this (since it led off every single ESPN studio show today), but I will say that this was the most shocking NFL comeback I’ve ever witnessed. Never underestimate the power of momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment