Monday, November 8, 2010

10 Awesome Things That Happened This Past Weekend (11/5-11/7)

This post consists of my 10 favorite things that happened over the course of this past weekend. Enjoy.

10. New Orleans Hornets Defeating the Miami Heat
            I’m not on the “Lebron is a gutless bum” bandwagon that most of the country is, but it’s still fun to see “The Big Two Featuring Chris Bosh” (as named by the Sports Guy Bill Simmons) lose. Wouldn’t the Heat of been better off picking up two other dudes that can actually rebound and block shots instead of Bosh? Bosh is much better as the best player on a mediocre team than he is as the third wheel on a championship caliber team.

9. Colts Tight End Jacob Tamme Catching 11 Passes for 108 Yards and a Score
            (WARNING: WRITER IS ABOUT TO TELL A FANTASY FOOTBALL STORY THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS RELEVANT TO REALITY. IF YOU DON’T LIKE SUCH STORIES, SKIP TO NUMBER 8. THANK YOU)
            I’m in two fantasy football leagues this year. The only starter I drafted on both teams was Antonio Gates. With Vincent Jackson holding out, and the rest of the Chargers wide receivers dropping like flies, Gates has been a monster this year (in both reality and fantasy). However, Gates has now succumbed to the bug. He’s been battling ankle and foot problems for the past three weeks. He was listed as doubtful before the game, and was declared inactive roughly an hour before kickoff.
            Gates was the only tight end on my team (I typically don’t carry two tight ends), so this left me in a bit of a quandary. Fortunately for my sake, the new Colts tight end was left on the free agent list in not one, but both leagues. Since I could line up at tight end and catch a few passes from Peyton Manning, I gladly scooped him up. He scored all sorts of points for both of my teams. Good times.   
             
8. Keith Olbermann Suspended By MSNBC
            Olbermann was suspended Friday from his TV show for donating money to democratic candidates. I’ve been an Olbermann fan for years (he was great back in the day on “Sportscenter”), but this issue brings to light the huge problem we have with cable “news”.
            I personally don’t have a problem with a television show that features Mike Huckabee praising the merits of the Tea Party. I don’t mind Keith Olbermann cracking jokes based on his left-leaning bias. The problem is the fact that these shows are advertised as news. Which leads to many ignorant people taking these individual’s words as unbiased truth (there are plenty of stories that can be found online about the conflicts between the regular NBC news department, which operates without bias, and MSNBC, which leans to the left).
            The solution to this problem is simple. Stop advertising these programs under the category of news. We should change Fox News to Fox Right Wing, or Fox Tea Party, or Fox Palin. MSNBC can be “Left of Center Network”. I think this idea has legs. Probably won’t happen though.

7. Peyton Hillis Leading the Browns to Victory Over the Patriots.
            I have two simple reasons for enjoying this victory. One is that I live in New England, but I’m not a Patriots fan. So whenever the Pats get beat down, I’m all for it (you’ll notice that most of these involve me enjoying a team losing. I didn’t realize I took so much pleasure in other people’s pain).
            The second reason involves Hillis. I have a good friend who despises him. I’m not really sure why, but I’m pretty sure it’s related to fantasy football. So whenever Hillis does well, I’m again all for it.

6. Alabama Losing Their 2nd Game of the Season to LSU
            I’ll sign off on anything that results in Nick Saban’s football team being eliminated from National Championship contention.

5. A Jockey Fight and a NASCAR Fight
            These two events are lumped together because they were essentially the same thing. Two short people getting angry and pushing each other. Doesn’t sound entertaining on paper, but man was it good television.        

4. George W. Bush Criticizing Sarah Palin, John McCain, and Dick Cheney
            Like most of America, I was not a fan of W’s eight years in the White House. I will say though that I’m thoroughly enjoying W post presidency. Is he going out of his way to irk the last few people that cared for him? I don’t get it. I’m not sure what the poor executives at Fox News think of this story, but I’m sure there heads are exploding. Did you read that he even complemented Obama? I’m not sure what kind of crazy Bush is, but I like it (well now that he’s not commander in chief).

3. Boston Celtics Survive the Chicago Bulls in Overtime
            I hope a few of you were able to check out this game last Friday night. You can’t go wrong with a playoff-like atmosphere in early November. The Bulls will be rock solid when they get Boozer back (and if they get Carmelo Anthony via trade, than forget about the Eastern Conference), while the Boston Celtics are playing fantastic team basketball. Everyone on that team is focused on getting the ball to the open guy (except for Nate Robinson, but thankfully he only plays about 10 minutes a game).
            While I’m on the subject, I would like to praise the quality of play in the NBA right now. We could have the best collection of talent since the mid-80s through the early-90s. It’s a damn shame that there will probably be a lockout next year, because the NBA is creeping up on the NFL in watchablity (not sure if that’s a word, but I just invented it, so there).

2. Daylight Savings Time Ending
            Can we get an extra hour of sleep every Sunday? I love it when the clocks fall back an hour.

1. Green Bay Packers destroying the Dallas Cowboys 45-7
            I’ll start this paragraph by saying that I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan. The loss to Green Bay on Sunday night was the best thing that’s happened to the Cowboys’ franchise since winning Super Bowl XXX. I’ll take a 38-point beating on national television, as long as it got Wade Phillips kicked out the door. When I found out Phillips was officially fired today, I raised my hands like I had just won the lottery. I can’t wait for the 2011 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment