Monday, April 18, 2011

10 Awesome Things That Happened This Past Weekend (4/16-4/18)

10. On-Line Poker Shutdown in United States
            I was bummed out when I first read this headline, but now feel better that I will no longer lose pots to 17-year old kids from Argentina who are hitting miracle flushes on the river. On the other hand, I can’t sit in pajamas and play poker in my living room anymore (unless I had a pajama Texas Hold ‘Em party, but that would be weird). It looks like we are moving closer to a world where the US Government will be regulating on-line poker games.

9. Ducks Forward Bobby Ryan Suspended For Stomping On Opponents Skate
            Ryan claims that he wasn’t intentionally stomping on Predators defenseman Jonathon Blum skate during game 2 of the Ducks-Predators series. I’ll refer you to this video so you can decide for yourself (plus, you get to see Barry Melrose and his mullet, which is always a good time).

8. Jimmie Johnson Wins By .002 Seconds at Talladega
            If you didn’t enjoy the last laps of this race, than you will never enjoy any NASCAR event.

7. Durant Drops 41 to Lead Thunder Over Nuggets
            Russell Westbrook chipped in with 31 to carry Oklahoma City in the best shoot out of the game 1s. I really like how Oklahoma City is looking right now. You have two stud scorers, two big men to control the paint (Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka), a stopper on the wing (Thabo Sefolosha), and a very good 6th man (James Harden). San Antonio or Los Angles will not want to see this team in the 2nd round.

6. Canadiens Take 2-0 Series Lead Over Bruins
            Boston has now lost six straight postseason games dating back to last season. The Bruins look like they are a stud goal scorer short this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if they still pulled this series out, but anyone who thinks of this team as a Stanley Cup favorite is either a real homer or on drugs (or both).

5. Down 10, Bulls Pull Off 4th Quarter Comeback Against Pacers
            My Dad actually watched the end of this game (which could be a sign of the apocalypse, because my Dad watches NBA games approximately once every nine years), and he claims that the Bulls were bailed out by the officials in game 1. In honor of him watching the game, I’ll let that stand as my analysis of this event.

4. Hawks Win Game 1 in Orlando
            When your best player scores 46, and you still lose by 10 points, you have serious issues. I’ve said it before, but it’s worth repeating that Orlando has done a horrendous job building a team around Dwight Howard. 12-year olds running a franchise on NBA 2K12 could’ve done a better job.

3. Grizzlies Win First Playoff Game in Franchise History Over Spurs
            In my first round preview, I predicted a sweep by the Spurs, but also predicted Memphis to be in every single game. In my mind, that counts for something. If I was a Spurs fan, I would be very worried if Ginobili cannot return at anything less than 100%. 

2. Chris Paul Goes Bonkers, Leads Hornets to Game 1 Upset of Lakers
            On paper, it made a lot of sense that Chris Paul would destroy Derek Fisher in this series. Paul is one of the best three point guards in the league, and Derek Fisher has been washed-up for five years. However, it was very surprising that the Lakers were not able to lock down the rest of the Hornets. Expect a better game plan from the Lakers in Game 2. They won’t shut down Paul, but if they can keep him under 10 assists, they will be fine. Pau Gasol showing up will also help (only 8 points for him on 2-8 shooting).

1. Ray Allen From Downtown…BANG
            Boston was terrible in the first half, but found some life after halftime. I’m predicting a double-digit Celtics win in game 2, which is a lock if Chauncey Billups can’t play after injuring his knee late in game 1.




No comments:

Post a Comment